Painting, Ch 2

It was long after we had separated from each other, being in a blissful accord of marriage. I happen to come across a painting that was put up for sale in the café, where I use to come after my working hours. Coming here was a different feeling altogether, it felt as if I am away from the weird world which exist to not to exist.

There was a certain kind of connection which I sensed whenever I am here, it was like someone might have awaken my soul from the crowd of soulless realm.  So I asked Abhijeet, the cashier how come this painting here and that too for sale. He told me it was of a customer who was a regular and had dues to be cleared off, for which the painting acts as surety.

Out of my eccentricity, I asked for the price and what I was told was nothing compared to the beauty of the painting. Just twelve thousand and seven hundred, I cross checked but it was certain. By the time I had got my regular coffee which I took to the habituated corner table of mine, I felt so immersed in the beauty of that painting that I called Abhijeet again and shared my willingness to buy it.  He was skeptical of me trying to buy that painting.

May be because, being a regular here I never talked to anyone or never showed interest in the things going around here, even when film star Priyanka visited here to cherish her teenage remembrances and the whole café was a fortress, I was still at this corner table with my sugarless black coffee. I took out my debit card and asked him to wrap it for me.  He looked surprised with my so quick decision, took that card and gave a nod as assurance to get it done.

My eyes were still glued to the painting and watching it getting wrapped. Soon I finished my coffee and called a cab to carry that wrapped exquisite with me as I could never chance upon the evening metro to let it reach home safely.

Delhi’s evenings are always worst on road, they feel like the never ending journey and with this wrapped painting with me I wanted to reach my home as early as possible.

The driver was looking thru the rear view mirror and was getting restless to know what’s in the WRAPPED item, adding to his curiousness was the way I was holding. I just couldn’t take any chances with it. The pace of the traffic was making me die inside, what added to my worry was the rains outside, it made me feel suffocated as I wasn’t going anywhere.

But as everything comes to an end so does this ever tiring journey. It gave me a great relief to see my flat from the window of the cab.  Now the next problem was to reach inside with painting without getting it wet.

After paying the charge to the driver I opened my shirt and wrapped my shirt around the painting keeping it close to myself. I asked him to open the gate and quickly ran towards the nearest hood of the stairs.

Now I could at last see the painting all for myself, I eagerly opened the door and as soon as I entered inside I started unwrapping the painting. After keeping the painting on the TV table in front of LED screen to provide it reasonable support.

I adjusted the lights of the room accordingly and sat on the sofa just adoring the painting in front of me.

Soon I could feel the same sense that prevailed me in the café, my eyes were transmitting some strange impulses to my mind, as if it is taking me in to a different world….(to be continued)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABC by Wislawa Szymborska

Falling in Love

Untitled - Ch - 1 Intro